Sunday, February 27, 2011

Introduction

Alright to start things off, a little about myself.  My name is cj ray and I currently live in west plains, mo.  I've been an EMT for three years now and been fighting fire for 4 years. The start of my fire fighting was on a small volunteer department in my home town of eminence.  After graduating high school I moved to west plains where I started part time on a paid on call fire department and full time on an ambulance service.  Ive been at both for almost a year now.  About a month ago I decided to take my education (and pay scale) to the next level, so I started a Paramedic program.  So far its been great, but I can tell already its going to be alot of hard work and probably take up most of my social life.  However, I have high hopes and the payout will be very worth it in the end. 

So that's where my life is at right now, and I thought there might be some people curious about the training of the people that they call to come too their house in their most desperate times, so I started this blog to keep people informed.  Paramedic class is made up of three different blocks, the first of these blocks is mostly in class studying.  So most of my posts during this time will be the type of stuff I'm learning in class and the problems I'm finding/holes I have to fill in myself.  We can't learn everything on our own, nor can we expect our instructor to teach us everything.  Needless to say we're gonna have to put or nose to the grindstone and get out there and find more information if we want to come out and be some of the best.

The second block is a good mixture of both classroom time and clinical time.  For those of you that don't know what clinicals are that's where we get out in the field and start to use the knowledge and practice the skills we've learned under very close supervision.  Then finally the third block, which is almost all clinical time and the time that is spent in the classroom is used to prepare for testing.  After all the classroom material is covered and all clinicals have been completed we are released to go test on a national and state level.  After passing both state and federal level testing, the past 18 months pays off and were allowed to start working as a licensed Paramedic.

That's just a quick overview of what the layout of the class will entail.  Please join me for this this long but interesting ride into the depths of the works of emergency medicine.


No comments:

Post a Comment